Elementos Libros V-IX | Física y berenjenas | Andrés Gomberoff
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. 11/16/18

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Wayne_j, Nov 16, 2017.

1. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    I haven’t read through this entire thread so forgive me if this has already been asked.

The 3D in the original was stunning, and 3D is always my only option. They are advertising this sequel in 3D and IMAX, but I can’t find anything about IMAX3D. Is it being shown in that format?

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    This sound like a question that @Josh Steinberg would know the answer to more than I would. But IMAX (at least in North America) has been greatly reducing their 3D screenings for some time now, citing a clear consumer preference for 2D. It seems entirely possible to me that Grindelwald may only screen in IMAX 2D in the US. I haven't paid as much attention to IMAX since divorcing myself from the AMC which holds our only local one earlier this year, but I saw the original Fantastic Beasts there and it was 2D only or us. So was Warner's release of Blade Runner 2049, even though Sony released that internationally in IMAX 3D.

3. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Floating heads don't bother me as long as they are framed in something, and here they are.

And, that's not green... it's patinated copper, or brass. It only "looks" green :);).

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    As per the newish Warner policy post-Dunkirk, this is 2D-only in North American IMAX theaters despite the existence and availability of a 3D version.

Dunkirk was a big hit for Warner in IMAX due to the film being shot with IMAX cameras; unfortunately, Warner took the wrong lesson from this and concluded that the reason it was a big hit in IMAX was that it was in IMAX 2D. Since then, their domestic IMAX releases have been in 2D-only.

(The only exception to this was Ready Player One, likely due to Steven Spielberg’s clout.)

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Oops. Wrong thread.

6. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    Several movies in IMAX which were shown only flat in the US, were in 3D IMAX in Canada. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but we of course prefer IMAX to “Real3D” for quality, but also so we can reserve seats ahead of time.

This time of the year we always feel in a rush to see movies that also appeal to kids, before school lets out.

7. Message #107 of 118 Nov 6, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Over the weekend, news came out via a WB press event about a casting addition for the film which reveals the inclusion of a spoiler character. IF you don't know who this is yet, and don't want to know, tread carefully. It won't kill the movie for you if you know, but would have been a fun surprise if they had managed to keep quiet for another week or so.

Personally, I miss the security scrutiny surrounding the books. I'm enjoying getting new films, but if The Crimes of Grindelwald were book nine and not a new film, there is almost no way this information would have leaked ahead of the book release.

Screen Rant has a good article about why this is problematic and breaks continuity with Harry Potter, but I'm going to put the article link under the spoiler tag because the character's name is in the URL.

Also, my screening next Tuesday has now sold 13 tickets.

8. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    133 tickets sold at my Tuesday screening so far.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    I found the first film a 3D extravaganza, so I really want to see this one in 3D. I am having a really hard time finding a showing in that format in my area however. I looked up imax 3D showings on Google and was directed to Melbourne Australia! Since we live about 45 min. from Toronto, it seems a bit of an expense for just a movie!

George_W_K, holtge and Josh Steinberg like this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I don't know why you're having trouble. It might be a local thing? It is clearly being released in 3D in the US at least. My local Cinemark shows one screen's worth of 3D showtimes for pre-sale today, along with one standard 2D screen and the premium xD screen (which will be showing it in 2D.) It's possible that more times will be added between now and when the movie opens next week.

11. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    We prefer reserved seating, and love to attend quiet matinees of everything. We’re finding that all the theatres showing it locally in 3D are playing it at 7.00 and 10:00. — too late for us oldsters.

I buy all these movies (action/super hero/supernatural) on 3D Blu. I don’t mind settling for flat Imax as long as I can watch it at home later in 3D, but look what happened with the latest Mission Impossible!

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Are you sure you're not looking at showtimes for Thursday the 15th only? Because Thursday the 15th is technically considered "sneak previews," they're only going to hold night shows that night. The first matinee shows will be Friday, November 16, which is its official opening date. I would be really surprised if theaters weren't offering it in 3D at varying times then. Also, there is a lot of time for additional showtimes to be added between now and when the movie comes out.

My theater usually does one screen worth of advance ticketing, but they end up putting big blockbusters on three or four screens usually, and the additional times get booked during the middle of the week before the movie opens once they firm up all of their showtimes for that week for all films. That's just how it works. My advice would be to wait and see what options turn up in your area once the film has opened. I suspect it might be more than what's being displayed now.

13. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    This is what we are going to do.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Warner has still been supporting domestic 3D blu, so it seems likely this will be available in 3D blu for the US or UK or both.

15. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    FANTASTIC!

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I see what you did there. ;)

17. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    This is an e-mail that I sent to the IMAX corporate headquarters in Canada:

We live around the corner from the IMAX theatre in Ancaster Ontario. Since the theatre was built we have tried to attend every movie we wanted to see in IMAX. All of a sudden incomprehensibly, IMAX seems to no longer be showing movies in 3D!, even 3D extravaganzas like Marvel movies and the new “Fantastic Beast!” We have been very loyal customers and now feel abandoned as we are forced to attend movies in inferior systems like Real 3D. Why are you doing this?

This is their reply:

Dear Terry,

Our apologies for not meeting you expectation at this IMAX theatre.

We appreciate you took the time to give us this important feedback.

Over the last few years 3D has not been the audience draw it used to be and thus we exhibit less 3D content.

However, we will be distributing 3D for Mortal Engines and Aquaman , coming up in December . Please check local listing, as some shows may be in 2D.

Thanks for being an IMAX fan and I want to point out that all IMAX content whether 2D or 3D receives our proprietary picture and audio mastering procedures, to give you the best cinema experience possible.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards
    D. K. (I have withheld his name)
    CQG IMAX Corp.

benbess likes this.
  18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Just a nice way to say “tough titties, we don’t support 3D.”