Czas bohaterów / Age of Heroes (2011) [Lektor] | Piwne rozmowy braci McMullen / The Brothers McMullen (1995) [Napisy] | Smashed (2012) [Lektor]
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue One spinoff series with Diego Luna for Disney+

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 8, 2018 at 4:43 PM.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Bob Iger announced today that the Disney streaming service will be called Disney+. I'm really surprised they couldn't come up with a better name than that. How long do you think it took somebody to come up with that name?

But anyway, also in the announcement is a second live-action Star Wars series. This one is a spinoff of Rogue One, featuring Diego Luna reprising his role from that film as Cassian Andor.

More at the link.

http://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/new-star-wars-and-marvel-series-announced-for-disney-streaming-service/

Vincent L likes this.
  2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I want a K-2SO show.

But will they let Diego Luna touch Jabba?

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Sounds like a great idea. I like the character and the actor. Disney is really making their service a must-have.

I read that Iger also confirmed Tom Hiddleston for the Loki show.

TravisR likes this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Ugh.

I understand why they want to build a show around a name actor and one of the central characters from the third highest grossing Star Wars movie of all time.

But they're basically boxed into telling a prequel to a prequel/offshoot. Cassian Andor can't have a fully resolved arc over the course of the series, because we know exactly how his character ends. The Rebel Alliance can't have any great major victories, because the Battle of Yavin is their first major victory, and Andor isn't around for that.

I would have been far more interested in a series picking up where Solo left off, a decade before the Battle of Yavin, centered around Enfys Nest and the founding of the Rebel Alliance.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think it's a smart choice. "Disney" is arguably the most well known, well loved and most embraced name in popular entertainment - why not leverage it? Why try to be too creatAs for the "+" sign, that's the way that Disney brands their streaming apps already (for instance, "ESPN+" is the name of the ESPN streaming app). So they're using their studio name and the previously established nomenclature for their digital platforms.

I could have written that entire post and was on my way to do just that.

I’m worried that this idea is from the same place that “Solo” came from - doubling and tripling down on showing us things we already know, from the perspective of characters that are fully locked into their paths because we already know how their story must end.

I would love to see a Star Wars story, or multiple Star Wars stories, that move the universe forward and that explore characters and situations that are new to us as an audience.

I have less interest in the backstory for a character who wasn’t all that exciting to begin with.

Carabimero and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I love that they've got Diego Luna back but what's really cool about this to me is that you'll get to see the nascent Rebellion.

joshEH likes this.
  7. Message #7 of 10 Nov 9, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Variety's Justin Kroll:

http://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1060651685536653313

Also, Cassian's family started out as Separatists fighting the Republic. He isn't the biggest fan of the Jedi. There could be some very interesting Clone Wars-era flashbacks coming.

TravisR likes this.
  8. Message #8 of 10 Nov 9, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 10:11 PM
    TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Digging really deep into nerd-dom, he was also a Fulcrum with the Rebellion so they could go nuts and cast a live action Ahsoka or Kallus.

Simon Massey and joshEH like this.
  9. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I suspect Disney are desperate to have a Rebellion/Empire era live action show given the possibilities for some characters to appear but without needing the core Han/Luke/Leia trio. This would appear to be what they settled on.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Let's say they set this a few years after Solo, six or seven years before Rogue One/A New Hope. Princess Leia would only be 12 or 13, which would give them room to recast with a child actress. Jimmy Smits could of course reprise his role as Bail Organa.

While it would be pushing it to have Diego Luna play a 20-year-old, that would be quite a bit more exciting than a series set a year or two before Rogue One.