Photoshop | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai English Subbed | Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Yoko's Belly Button
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Spotlight: Karen Black. I meant to do this sooner after I got "Trilogy Of Terror" but didn't have time until now.

The FBI (S2)-"The Satellite"-One of her earliest credits. She assists Tim McIntire in kidnapping the son of a wealthy businessman.

The Big Valley (S2)-"Days Of Grace"-In this, she plays a mentally unstable woman who falsely accuses Heath Barkley (Lee Majors) of rape. Her father, wealthy landowner Bert Freed (just coming off his regular role as a similar villainous landowner in the short-lived "Shane") is determined to railroad Heath. The main female guest though is another woman who would achieve mid-70s big-screen fame, Ellen Burstyn (billed here as Ellen McRae) who plays a former girlfriend of Heath's who is now a nun and is determined to help him escape the would-be lynching Freed has in store.

The Invaders (S2)-"The Ransom"-The first episode to feature Alfred Ryder as the alien leader. David Vincent has managed to abduct the leader and they are holed up in a farmhouse owned by aged poet Laurence Naismith with Black playing his granddaughter. It's interesting how in all three of these early appearances, Black, despite being close to 30 is playing 19-20 in all of them.

Mannix (S1)-"License To Kill: Limit Three People"-She gets a "special guest star credit" even though she was still a couple years off from her big screen breakthroughs. Here she's playing the two-timing wife of a man who has escaped from an asylum and is wanted for three murders. Naturally all is not as it seems once Mannix investigates.

Adam-12 (S1)-"Log 132"-She appears toward the end when Reed and Malloy respond to a call about a prowler outside her home and she is soon flirting with Pete Malloy.

Ghost Story (S1)-"Bad Connection"-By this point, 1972, Black had been in "Easy Rider" and "Five Easy Pieces". This was her one return to episodic television in this period, playing a woman who is getting what seem like terrifying phone calls from her dead husband. Comparing her at this point to her early roles, you can see the maturity and gravitas she's picked up in five years. I also can't help but note how at this point, she strongly resembles another lady of 60s-70s TV, Antoinette Bower (though without Bower's harder edge and of course without her European quality).

2. Message #982 of 995 Nov 8, 2018 at 10:54 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    Got on a Gunsmoke kick (finished up Season 4).
    The F.U. (4.27) Bert Freed, Joe Flynn. Interesting episode that sees Matt adding up divergent clues and getting an answer without recovering what he went after because of Chester.
    Wind (4.28) Whitney Blake, Mark Miller, Roy Engel, Dabbs Greer. A new game in town along with a new girl who brings good luck and then death.
    Fawn (4.29) Peggy Stewart, Wendy Stuart, Robert Karnes, Robert Rockwell. Indian captive allowed to return to the whites with her daughter, husband is predjudiced.
    Renegade White (4.30) Barney Phillips, Michael Pate. A angry man who may be a gun runner intrigues Matt.
    Murder Warrant (4.31) Ed Nelson, Mort Mills, Onslow Stevens. A good man wanted by a rich man who buys the law runs afoul of Matt and the upright citizens of Dodge.
    Change of Heart (4.32) Ken Curtis, James Drury, Lucy Marlow. Estranged brothers are disagreeing about marriage and the ranch to be inherited. Tragic episode.
    Buffalo Hunter (4.33) Harold J. Stone. A buffalo hunter with no morals meets his match in Dodge.
    The Choice (4.34) Darryl Hickman. Has a gunfighter been rehabilitated? Did Matt put his reputation on the line?
    There Was Never A Horse (4.35) Jack Lambert. Another gunfighter looking to enhance his reputation. Matt is wounded.
    Print Asper (4.36) Ted Knight, J. Pat O'Malley. Crooked lawyer tries to swindle a farm owner who threatens lawyer. Son overhears and notifies his brother who takes inappropriate action.
    The Constable (4.37) Strother Martin, John Larch. Texas drovers don't like the law in Dodge and threaten the businessmen. They in turn tell Matt he is to keep hands off and let their newly hired unarmed Constable keep the peace. It all works until there is an accidental death. Excellent episdoe.
    Blue Horse (4.38) Gene Nelson, Michael Pate, William Murphy. Transporting a prisoner, Matt is injured and sends Chester for Doc leaving Matt to guard his prisoner. The cavalry is looking for a renegade Indian who is a friend of Matt's.
    Cheyennes (4.39) Walter Brooke, Tom Brown, Ralph Moody. Matt seeks the help of an old Indian chief to find unscrupulous gun runners.

Doctor Who - Spearhead From Space Blu
    New Doctor, UNIT, exile to Earth and an alien invasion by mannequins. What's not to like?

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  3. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
    RAWHIDE SEASON 6

Episode #30
    “Incident of the Peyote Cup”
    written by Dick Nelson
    directed by Thomas Carr
    guests: James Gregory, Pilar Seurat, Ted de Corsia, Richard Hale, Hal John Norman

It’s a solo Hey Soos adventure paired with an Indian drama in which Hey Soos first looses his horse and is abducted and drugged with a hallucinatory poison called the Peyote Cup by a medecine man named Pala (actor Ted de Corsia) of a mysterious tribe. Hey Soos is driven mad and brought back to the camp. A new drover named Brothers (actor James Gregory) goes on a hunting down job along with Hey Soos looking for the nice Indian girl named Maga (actress Pilar Seurat) that saves his skin. Brothers is a former missionary who used to convert the tribe to Christianity but failed and made them confused and wishes to undo his deed. In the process, Hey Soos, Brothers and Maga end up crucified! Rowdy Yates is absent. Features a cue from Bernard Herrmann’s “Where Is Everybody?” from The Twilight Zone.

Actor Ted de Corsia is a notorious Film Noir player from the Forties and the Fifties and appears six times on the series. Actor James Gregory returns from the season 5 “Incident at Crooked Hat”.

Conclusion
    “Incident of El Toro” is a season 5 episode and not a season 6 episode as listed on imdb so the season 5 CBS set is correct in that respect. Season 6 is still a good season and a continuation of season 5. Next season, many changes will occur from top (producers, directors) to bottom (actors), you are warned. Goodbye producer Vincent M. Fennelly and Paul King and cinematographer Jack Swain.

TOP DRAMATICAL SEASON 6 RAWHIDE EPISODES
    “Incident of the Red Wind”
    “Incident of the Travellin’ Man”
    “Incident at Two Graves”
    “Incident of The Prophecy”
    “Incident at Ten Trees”
    “Incident at Gila Flats”
    “Incident of The Swindler”
    “Incident at Zebulon”
    “Incident at Hourglass”
    “Incident at Deadhorse, Part I & II”

ADDITIONAL FUN EPISODES
    “Incident at El Crucero”
    “Incident at Confidence Creek”
    “Incident of The Wild Deuces”
    “Incident of the Rusty Shotgun”
    “Incident of the Banker”

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  4. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    RAWHIDE SEASON 7
    I continue my journey into the cattle drive of Gil Favor. This is the last season with actor Eric Fleming.
    So remember “Head’Em Up! Move’Em Out!”

The new production team
    producers
    : Bruce Geller and Bernard Kowalski
    associate producer: Del Reisman
    director of photography: Howard Schwartz

Feature an impressive brand new main titles
    1. a new typeface (Latin Wide) is chosen to introduce the series title before a cow comes charging straight at the audience followed by a freeze frame to the shadow of its feature and dissolves to a bronze.
    2. the three leading actors are presented with a distinctive slow-motion action scene that freezes frame/dissolve to a bronze statue and a bronze portrait of the actor.

The outfit of Gil Favor is shortened
    trail boss Gil Favor, ramrod Rowdy Yates, cook Wishbone, cook’s assistant Mushy, drover Jim Quince and Toothless.
    Unfortunately two drovers are gone: Joe Scarlet, wrangler Hey Soos.

Latin Wide
    The ‘Latin’ family of typefaces is characterized by its large, sharp, triangular serifs.
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/latin/

Here comes the season 7 logo still under Bruce Geller and Bernard Kowalski

[​IMG]

Here comes the season 7 opening credits for the three leading actors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    Rockford Files Sn. 1
    Episode 2: The Dark And Bloody Ground
    Episode 3: The Countess
    Two very good episodes for a show just getting started. The second episode has reliable guest stars Susan Strasberg and Dick Gautier helping things along, but I feel Garner has already nailed his character at this early point and is clearly the key to his show.

Monkees Sn.1
    Episode 1: Royal Flush
    Episode 2: Monkee See, Monkee Die
    I was eleven years old when this show came out and I waited eagerly for every episode. It was one of the first times my dad relinquished control of the TV and allowed me to watch what I wanted. (we still only had one black & white set I think)
    Watching it now is a little painful, but I still love the music.

Jonny Quest Sn.1
    Episode 1: Mystery Of the Lizard Men
    The lizard men were gray instead of green when I met them but I still thought they were cool. I don't know if my dad actually enjoyed this show but I remember watching it in the evenings on it's first run so maybe he was just being nice to his young son. We didn't get our first color TV until 1967.

6. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    Good stuff, Tim! Jonny Quest is one of my earliest viewing memories...what an evocative show it was for a young imaginative kid! The Rockford Files is a more recent favorite, but I think it's a terrific show. You're right, Garner nails his character right out of the gate, and holds the show together, even through all the Angel shows (Stuart Margolin's character is not my favorite).Coincidentally, I watched a Rockford episode myself a few days ago. More on that later...

Montytc and Flashgear like this.
  7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Jonny Quest... Another series that was cancelled too soon. I always hated that the episode, which I later found out was from the original test footage used to sell the series to ABC, featuring the natives and escape via hovercraft didn't exist. For years I thought I kept missing it somehow. If possible, I watched the series anytime it aired no matter how old I became. I still love it, the original series that is. I can't stand any of the later attempts to expand upon (mid 80s) or recreate (mid 90s) the series.

There was something magical about all those early 60s HB prime-time cartoon productions, The Flintstones, Jonny Quest, The Jetsons, and Top Cat. All of them were quality with stories that didn't "talk down" to or for kids. And yet only The Flintstones managed to survive beyond a single season.

8. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    RAWHIDE SEASON 7

Episode #1
    “The Race”
    written by Robert Lewin
    directed by Bernard McEveety
    guests: Warren Oates, L.Q. Jones, Emil Genest, William Bryant, Joe Breen, John Pickard

It’s a rebelious Rowdy Yates adventure in which he quits the drive and compete against a mean Gil Favor and push his own cattle drive helped by Wishbone and Mushy. Trail boss Yates hires a ramrod named Weed—in other words, Clint Eastwood work again with Warren Oates and they feud and fistfight during the travel. Yates works against the clock to be on time. That kind of story refers to a season 6 “Incident of the Odyssey” because of the antagonism between the two leads. Enjoy this traditional one because the rest of the season will be unconventional.

Actor Warren Oates returns from the season 6 “Incident of the Prophecy” and L.Q. Jones from “Incident at Gila Flats”.
    Both Warren Oates and L.Q. Jones are recurring Sam Peckinpah actors.
    Writer Robert Lewin will work on Mission: Impossible (see “Memory”, “Zubrovnik’s Ghost”, “Action!”) as well as actor Emil Genest (see “Snowball in Hell”, “Recovery”).

Read the overview of Rawhide
    http://sempurnabet.biz/community/threads/what-are-your-favorite-vintage-western-series.358973/page-5

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    Have completed the sixth disc of that first season's worth of The Wild Wild West; one disc (and four episodes) away from crossing the color barrier, as it were (granted, there'll be no bonuses on any of the color seasons, but I'm looking forward to enjoying The Wild Wild West in color)

10. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    When you'll finish the season 1 set, can you post your top ten list?
    Thanks.

PS: Let's hope CBS will release a Blu-ray edition of The Wild Wild West.

11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    I'll try, but with 28 episodes on that first go (and that many on the second one; third and fourth ones having 24 apiece), that might be a pretty daunting undertaking, as I had never seen this series before, but only heard of it.

Flashgear likes this.
  12. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    Try a top twenty episode list if you prefer.
    Thanks.

13. Montytc

Tim Montavon
    I have been bouncing around a lot with my vintage TV watching as I try to get back into it, but I think I may spend a little more time with Rockford Sn.1. It is off to a promising start.

14. Montytc

Tim Montavon
    You are right about all those shows. I own sets of all of them plus Huckleberry Hound and Yogi, and I am planning on giving them all some attention soon.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I wish they had put the Yogi and Huckleberry Hound sets together with the interstitials intact. It's nice watching the cartoons but I miss those little bits tying it all together.